Brats club logo 

Question 5 on this section

2e CEPT Recommendation and reciprocal licensing.

Let's be reminded of what CEPT stands for :-

European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations which was established in 1959 by 19 countries

Nature of CEPT and reciprocal licences.

2e.1 Operation abroad under the CEPT recommendation and under reciprocal licences

Operation in CEPT countries by UK licenced Amateurs

16(1) Where this Licence is a Full Licence, but not a Full (Reciprocal) Licence, a Full (Temporary Reciprocal) Licence or a Full (Club) Licence, the Licensee may operate in countries which have implemented CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01 in accordance with the terms of CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01 provided that the Licensee is only a temporary visitor to and not a resident of the relevant host country.

Operation abroad under the CEPT and a reciprocal licence is ONLY for those amateur who are visiting or as it is stated "temporary visitor".

CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01 is the documentation under which from 1985 makes it possible for radio amateurs from CEPT countries to operate during short visits in other CEPT countries without obtaining an individual temporary licence from the visited CEPT country.

So if you are to emigrate to a new country then the CEPT and reciprocal regulation do not apply and you would then need a callsign issued by the new country.

Rules for operation in CEPT countries.

16(2) Where the Licensee is authorised to operate abroad in accordance with Clause 16(1), the Licensee shall:

  • (a) comply with the requirements applicable to the use of wireless telegraphy apparatus at the location of operation in the host country;

    So you operate under the rules of the country you are visiting.

  • (b) present this Licence upon request to the relevant supervisory authorities in the host country;

    So you have to show your FULL AMATEUR RADIO LICENCE.

  • (c) unless instructed otherwise by the host country, use the Callsign specified in Section 1 of this Licence after the appropriate host country Callsign prefix.

    so for instance in France you would use if your callsign was G4AAA the following callsign F/G4AAA

Recall that many countries will offer reciprocal licences to UK amateurs with a Full licence and that operation is in accordance with the host country's rules.

brats copyright logo